|Job Title||VP of Operations (Multi-State)*|
|Location||Southfield, MI*||*Position is based out of Southfield, MI|
General Summary: Reporting to the President and CEO, the VP of Operations shall exercise administrative responsibility for the coordination and operation of the Michigan, and newly added states to the system, EMS Companies and Parastar’s Marketing, Communication Center, IT and Fleet Services. The VP of Operations shall be the officer in command of all EMS operations, including Marketing, and Communication Dispatch Center, and shall be responsible for seeing that the company operates in an efficient manner. Working in this position involves planning, coordinating, and directing all aspects of the EMS operations, inclusive of collaborative efforts with supporting departments within the organization. This requires staying abreast of controlling laws, ordinances, and regulation that effect the operation of the organization. The VP of Operations shall have complete internal control of the operations of the organization, accountable to the CEO.
Emphasis is placed upon achieving timely customer satisfaction and achievement of patient satisfaction through safe and clinically outstanding service. As well, an equal focus on achieving financial objectives while conducting oneself consistent with the Vision, Mission, and Values of the company.
This role will be expected to have high performance in EMS design and management and understand Health Care Value Based Purchasing and the impact that medical logistics has on quality scores and reimbursements.
Responsible for administratively overseeing EMS clinical operations. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the VP of Operations contributes to the growth and success of the company. Will be based out of Michigan and will be on call 24 hours a day and is held accountable for the success and continuous operations of the company. Should the VP of Operations be unavailable for operational duties, the VP of Operations will have pre-arranged appointment to an alternative member of management to assume operational directional duties. Further administrative responsibilities include:
- The VP OF OPERATIONS shall be responsible for overseeing all aspects of Beaumont Medical Transportation Service, Community EMS in Michigan, DMCare Express, any newly appointed EMS Operation states. Such responsibility may be delegated to said subordinates as deemed necessary (i.e Managers, Supervisors, Committees, etc.) with the VP of Operations maintaining accountability.
- The VP of Operations shall maintain oversight of Business Key Performance Indicators in the areas of UHU, TUH, Task Times, Wait Times, Payroll, Demand/Deployment and others as deemed necessary by CEO.
- Provide industry expertise and opinions that enhance the overall success of medical and non-medical transportation or logistics for the joint-venture partner and/or strategic business client.
- Develop and implement marketing plans in conjunction with the company and joint-venture partner and/or strategic business client Marketing Department.
- Capitalize on opportunities for growth.
- Interact with community and oversee account maintenance and public relations to promote the business unit as a positive corporate citizen.
- Pursue avenues to enhance relations with other regional health care providers and municipal agencies to further expand operations.
- The VP of Operations develops expansion of new service areas.
- Oversee all efforts being exercised to bill and collect potential income for services rendered in conjunction with the collections staff.
- Regularly review vendors to ensure that procurements are being made utilizing the most cost-effective purchasing strategies.
- Assist in developing, implementing and achieving capital and operating budgets in all aspects of conducting daily business, including but not limited to, the review and approval of all daily operating expenses within the approved budget and utilization of established procedures for any and all disbursements and adhere to all cash management policies.
- Ensure compliance with all medical control, clinical quality expectations and state and local reporting requirements.
- Ensure proper insurance coverage in the following areas: property liability, regular excess and umbrella, automobile, etc. Assure competitive pricing and accurate and complete coverage.
- The VP of Operations ensures that all employees are compliant with company policies & procedures.
- Oversees compliance with all City, State and Federal laws. Attends updates provided by CMS, Medicaid and third party insurance carriers.
- Oversee processes and follow up on all risk management incidents in conjunction with the legal and corporate risk management departments
- The VP of Operations will maintain a consistent flow of communication with staff regarding professional issues
- Ensure operation management is executing personnel functions including, but not limited to, hiring according to the position control, oversite of all aspects of disciplinary action, including terminations in conjunction with Corporate HR and performance reviews.
- The VP of Operations is responsible for coordinating with Human Resources to develop, update, and review policies and procedures as needed. New or updated policies and procedures will be presented to the CEO for final approval and signature.
- The VP of Operations selects, trains, develops, and empowers a competent and motivated professional staff.
- The VP of Operations will develop management team member’s skills in order to prepare them for increased leadership responsibilities and succession planning.
- The VP of Operations ensures customers are served with respect, individuality, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensure that Operation Management is maintaining all equipment, medical, portable, rolling stock or any other property of the organization/department in an acceptable condition and provide asset management for all capital equipment.
- Ensure that operation management has vehicles that are well maintained and stocked as in guidelines adopted by the appropriate State Department of Public Safety.
- Ensure a road ready vehicle is at the Operations headquarters for the sole purpose of rapid deployment of the Operations Management team including the Operations Manager.
- Ensure Operation Management is preparing, monitoring and maintaining effective deployment strategies that meet or exceed budget targets and high-performance EMS benchmarks.
- Oversee all support staff and collaborate with communications department to provide effective and efficient allocation, and reallocation, of resources.
- Meet and communicate regularly with Operation Management on any and all operational issues, including the management contract that may be considered a potentially damaging to the relationship with Operations or joint venture clients.
- Collaborate and coordinate with all departments, including operations, communications, billing/finance, human resources, and all other necessary departments to assure that lines of communication remain open.
- Exhibits excellent customer service skills and behaviors toward internal and external customers while maintaining a personal commitment to the organization’s core values.
- Adhere to departmental customer service, compliance standards, code of conduct and performance metrics.
- Ensure quality customer service to internal and external customers.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to the Organization’s core values through active involvement in the performance improvement process.
- Ensure safe work practices and attitudes, follows safety rules, works to prevent unsafe conditions and behaviors, and participates in organizational and departmental safety programs.
- Carry out other duties as assigned and in compliance with management agreement between the company and the joint-venture partner and/or strategic business client.
- Coordinate and attend all specified meetings and functions as specified by the joint-venture partner and/or strategic business client including monthly revenue cycle advisory committee, quality improvement and compliance council, executive team, medical command, and critical business indicators committee, etc.
- Conducts company meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by CEO.
Business Development & Marketing
The VP of Operations will participate in developmental and Quality Management with area facilities and agencies to promote company growth. This also includes the solicitation of 1st call/partnership agreements, city/county municipal provider contracts, transfer agreements, and additional government contracts that become available. Additionally, will build relationships and engage with relevant parties (business related & civic) thus enhancing the company’s exposure to customers, decision makers, and key players in the health care and political arena. The VP OF OPERATIONS will be responsible for the development of a marketing plan to establish quantifiable goals for the future of the organization. Additionally, will direct the design to create marketing materials related to program and business development.
The VP of Operations will educate and enhance the electorate’s opinions and perception of EMS within their constituency. This will be accomplished by networking and creating a comprehensive marketing plan that is specifically tailored to elected officials and those whom are entrusted to ensure public safety. This will be done at all levels of government (local, county, state, & national).
The VP of Operations will appoint qualified applicants or current employees to the following management positions:
- Directors/VPs of Operations
- Operations Managers
- Communications - Communication Manager
- Communications - Communication Supervisors
- Operations - Operations Supervisors – Fleet Managers
- Marketing Manager
- Director of Communications and Technology
The following appointed individuals will report directly to the VP of Operations in the chain of command:
- Directors/Managers of Operations
- Fleet Director/Managers
- Communication Center Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Director of Communications and Technology
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The VP of Operations shall have a comprehensive knowledge of business and personnel management procedures, theories, and methods; knowledge of budgetary procedures including statistical research, management, and report production; comprehensive knowledge on operation of personal computers, especially PC format software; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public; must be able to communicate clearly with public groups such as selected officials, civic groups, news media, and other committees dealing with the interests of the organization; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; ability to plan and supervise the work of others; good judgment, self-discipline and general courtesy and tact.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities Required:
- Minimum Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent and working towards a Master’s Degree preferred. Completion of college level coursework in Business Management, EMS Management, or related field; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Minimum Work Experience: Minimum of five years of senior EMS management/leadership experience in a system with EMS emergent and non-emergent transport (9-1-1 and interfacility), wheelchair services and communications center responsibilities. Must be extremely proficient in EXCEL and WORD. Must have a thorough understanding of Michigan Operations. Must be able to understand and speak English fluently and clearly.
- Contact With Others: Managers, peers, subordinates, clients, patients and families, medical personnel. Must be able to speak and write English clearly and fluently. Must have good written communication skills
- Analytical Demands: Problem solving skills, ability to analyze data, conduct investigations on matters which could result in employee discipline.
- Certification, Licensure, Registration: Valid driver's license and satisfactory driving record. State licensed EMT-P preferred inclusive of current ACLS and CPR.
- Critical Care Certification within 6 months of hire (CCP-C, CCEMT-P, FP-C, CICP)
- Physical Effort: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands and fingers, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Read letters/numbers from a computer screen. Judge distances from a computer screen map. Read colored items on graphs and computer screens.
- Work Environment: Normal office environment. Generally good working conditions in an office setting. Frequent interruptions, work pressure and irregularities in work schedule are expected. Employee is subject to continually changing tasks with continually changing deadlines. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to attend both regular and unscheduled meetings.
- Equipment Used: Various office equipment including copy and fax machines, Windows-based computer systems, cell phones, company radio system, and MDTs, EPCRs, and all applicable medical equipment to licensure level.
- Reports to: CEO/President
- Supervises: Operation Management, Fleet Services, Communications/Dispatch, Marketing and Communications and Technology
Note – This job description is dynamic and subject to change by administration at any time without notice or consultation of employee.
The above primary job duties and responsibilities describe the level and nature of work performed by the employees assigned to this job. The description should not be construed as an exhaustive listing of all job duties and responsibilities performed by this job. The company has the sole discretion to add or modify the duties of the position and to designate other functions at any time. This position description is not an employment agreement or contract.
Community EMS utilizes Direct Deposit for compensation. As a condition of employment, all employees must designate a financial institution equipped to accept direct deposits and the number of the account into which the deposit is to be made.